Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Why change something that's working?

Well...


Maybe it's because the end of the year is approaching or it could be the new bibles the kids got for Christmas - Or, it just could be the attitudes I've been seeing that I know need work, but...

I want to rearrange school a little. (just a little.)

I LOVE My Fathers World. And, I chucked everything to focus JUST on that. And, I still love it. And, I still think it is complete in every area - Except establishing a personal relationship with the Lord.

See, I've been spoiled in that area since we used Student of The Word for awhile. And, I saw the fruits of that curriculum.

I want that back.

Why don't I just use SOW?

Hmmm, well...

It was just too much for me. Too much preparation, too many decisions, and too many materials to buy. It wasn't as "home friendly" as MFW. Meaning I can "slide by" pretty well with MFW - I don't have to do much planning or thinking each day. I can just sit down & do what needs to be done, but still deal with life at the same time. When we were doing SOW it seemed that I needed to be available to figure out what it was we were doing. And, I have a home to take care of so it made me choose too much between home and school. MFW is "school in a box." That is VERY nice!!


Ok, so why am I bringing this whole subject up?


I had originally planned that NEXT year I would try to implement some of SOW into MFW - at least the bible study portion. Since I have VOL 1 of SOW, which is studying Genesis to Deuteronomy, I figured when we began to study Creation-Greeks in MFW I could find some way to interweave the two curriculums.


That was the plan.

But, now I'm longing for the depth that SOW gave us.

Yet, I don't want to leave the stability of MFW.

Anyway, while I think on where to go next, I have made a way for us to establish prayer & reading in our day. (this idea is actually stolen from SOW) After breakfast I will have the kids work on a "prayer page" - it is essentially a page for them to draw a picture of what they'd like to talk to God about. I made my own. I made three different kinds: Praise/Thanks, Pray for someone, Personal Prayer Requests. So, they will just decide what they'd like to talk to God about and make a little picture on whichever page corresponds. I did it with Superkid when he was about 5 years old. And, those pages are precious! Not to mention a foundation and building block to his faith. He still remembers some of those and recalls how God answered his prayers. I am also stealing another idea from SOW, which is to do an "outline" from our daily bible reading. Whatever we read, I will have the kids draw a picture of what the learned or remembered. Depending on the reading, we may actually do an "outline" of what happened, but mostly I just want them to do something to help them remember what they learned.

So, that will help fill this hole I see in my "training them up in the way they should go." BUT, on the other hand, this takes away from my time each day with them. Meaning, I can't do it all... And, I may have to work slower through MFW or something...

Why oh why can't there just be a perfect curriculum? :-)

No comments: